Thursday, January 18, 2007

baby it's cold in here

When Chris told me we needed to call for oil I placed it on the back burner. i would get to it. how bad could it be? we just had oil delivered a few weeks ago. oh ya...it's winter in Maine. so... we have no oil and I am sitting her typing in gloves with my ill 6 six year old laying in my bed in his winter gear waiting for the oil to be delivered (and something else has to be done but I don't' remember what it's called) Can't take him out since the delivery is due soon.

I keep thinking that this is how it must have been for past occupants of this house. I am telling myself that they were able to get stuff done in the cold. they had to go on with life and they did not have a dishwasher, washing machine, etc. With my love of books that take place hundreds of years ago one would think that I would use this as a opportunity to further recreate what my favorite authors illustrate in these books. (Actually I just began the new Tracy Chevalier which is set in London in the 1700's. Decided to give up on the Norman Mailer. am interested in reading the reviews. I found it to be an interesting topic and narrative voice but a grueling read)

I am cold and I think the house may smell of oil but cannot tell if it is my imagination.

No comments: