Friday, December 15, 2006

'tis the season

to be sad it seems. or so I thought. While I am feeling very happy and excited about the upcoming holiday's I haven't' been able to shake this deep feeling of sadness. I have been thinking about this for a while. If all is well, why am I sad? then last night as I was reading before I fell asleep, it hit me. I am reading and listening to, two of the saddest books. In the car I am listening to The Woman Who Walked into Walls by Roddy Doyle. then reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Two great books but terrifically sad. what hit me was the last line I read before I closed the book.
(in case you haven't read it, this book is narrated by death and takes place in pre and during WWII Germany, here death is talking about fighting in a war)
" I've seen so many young men
over the years who think they're
running at other young men.
They are not.
They are running at me. "
case closed

4 comments:

Karinina said...

you should check out Swath's recent blog entry. It is also about books affecting her mood.

Michael said...

will you link her blog on yours?

Liz Woodbury said...

you should be reading something christmassy! although there are plenty of sad christmas books, too. i read hans christian andersen's "the little fir tree" to bean when she was 4 or 5, and she WEPT. i forgot how sad it was. she's still traumatized by it.

Michael said...

hmmm.... cross that one off the list. we just read edward tulane. yikes. the little girl dies.

when I finish I will read something more hopeful. karin gave history of love rave reviews.