Friday, April 25, 2008

strange


Since Aidan started wearing contacts he has been getting a lot of comments about the shape of his eyes. Mostly friends/students asking if he is part Asian*.  One of his teachers who is 1/2 Japanese said to him, "Your eyes look strange. Are you part Asian?"

What has really caught my attention is the word Strange being used by an Asian person to describe a feature she shares. 

*I am thinking it is possible that this could come from our N.A. roots. a random gene that popped up in the cornucopia of heritages that makes my boy. I am thinking that my grandmothers eyes were sort of hooded but I am not sure and too lazy to look for photo's.

update... i did a quick google search for micmac and found this woman with Aidan eyes. very odd. feeling like I did after seeing photo's of my Italian great-grandmother and her shocking resemblance to Aaron. Especially the eyes. 


2 comments:

Liz Woodbury said...

i'm pretty jealous of your micmac heritage (don't you even just love saying the word, "micmac"?). i'm such a wasp, through and through...

Michael said...

well since we don't know anything about what percentage we are or even the correct full name of my grandmothers dad it's sort of strange.
my kids are really pushing me to get more information. adding it to my list right now!