Monday, October 02, 2006

We had a reading @ Portland Stage tonight. The usual cast of actors (whom I love) and a few area writers. one thing that John M. and Monica W. said really stuck in my mind.
A audience member asked if they read their own work out loud. They all answered that they did and why then John said that is bothers him knowing many readers read faster in their head then when out loud, that they do not fully pronounce the words in their heads. Therefore missing much of what is written. Monica then added that she find it unsettling when people tell her that they read her book very fast, racing through (because they loved it). She commented that it took her 4 years to write and she wished people would slow down and really read it.

I found this very interesting. I often race through books, I am a fast reader and if I love a book I just cannot stop, I'll read while cooking, walking, until my eyes close. Sometimes I do read again or get it on book on tape/cd, maybe not enough.

No comments: